Saturday, May 2, 2009

Some things always stay the same

This place feels the same
As so many times before.
Only time has gone by,
And I haven’t been around for awhile.
The thick, mossy feel of the carpet
Surely deemed out of style,
But I love that you haven’t changed it.

Another place, a different time
It still feels the same too
The same bar of soap
The same container of liquid soap
Obviously not the same in all these years,
But you keep buying the same kind.
What is it about this orange liquid that keeps you coming back?
Do you always make that choice each time for a reason
Or simply out of habit?
The pale bar of soap
Has the same texture in my hands
Slightly gritty, it barely lathers
It’s dry when I pick it up,
I wonder if I should actually be using it for this?
Maybe it’s saved for washing your face.
I remember thinking this way before,
So long ago,
Something so mundane and unimportant
But I somehow find it comforting.

You point out the cabinets to me,
In the wall above the shower
I’ve never noticed them before!
They look so old and characterized
A small detail that I would surely love.
Later sitting on the toilet,
I notice how far up you have to look to see them,
So it makes sense that I never did.
Maybe from now on,
When using the toilet at someone’s house
We should move our head at all angles,
Or a different angle every time,
If you’ll be going there often.
You never know what you’ll notice!

No comments: