Sunday, May 3, 2009

Right vs. Good, Wrong vs. Evil

Soar, soar, I want to soar,
I bite at my cage,
Tug at my leash,
Wildly pace back and forth.
Clearly agitated,
I need to get out
Need to roam wild and free.

No need to lock me up,
I’ll cause no harm
Just let me be what I am meant to be.
Not everything in this world
Needs to be controlled
All we need is a little trust
No sirens or fear,
I know what I’ve done,
No need to tell me it was wrong.
I know it wasn’t, and that is the truth
But since no one will believe me,
I guess I’ll have to pay up
There are other options,
But are they worth the struggle?

You try to convince me that you know what is right,
But the way I see it,
Is there is no right or wrong,
Sure, there are morals, they don’t mean a thing
And ethics, they’re important no doubt,
But we don’t seem to see eye to eye,
So I’ll give you the benefit,
But continue my suspicion.

Anything that is good vs. evil
Usually leaves something out
Bad vs good, is usually a lie
I never got to hear your story,
How you got this way,
Can’t we just listen to what he has to say?

You don’t need to be protecting
Anyone from me
I won’t hurt them,
You’ve already done enough harm.
You’re trying to protect
Your traditional ways
This idea is so stuck in your head
But these morals you speak of,
Aren’t about ethics.
They’re shallow and dull,
A mere manifestation of your own anger
Allowing itself to lash out at others
I don’t know who you’re protecting yourself from,
But you sure as hell don’t have to protect me.

Don’t use my religion,
Don’t slander this name
You are just putting
Your own people to shame.

If it makes someone suffer,
It’s not worth a thing
If you say he is more worthy than they
You’re just swallowing your own regurgitated words
Biting your tongue again and again,
Don’t you know where to end?
When will this ever end?
This isn’t His word
Don’t damage it and slander it so
You’ve taken something holy
And hacked away at it with a dull rusty knife
It’s lost its shape and form
And those that are true to the roots
Don’t recognize it anymore.

I’m a fundamentalist
You wouldn’t recognize me if you tried
I just think all the other fundamentalists have got it wrong,
They’ve lost the way
I suppose I’m hacking away at it as much as they,
They might not recognize what I’m holding here.

I suppose all of us, each and every one
Are just different knives,
Some of us rusty, some of us sharp,
Some blunt and unassuming,
Others serrated and unforgiving,
All carving our own way through this
Some of us recklessly hack away
Others carefully saw
None of us are right
But I think some of us are wrong.

No comments: