Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Promised Land

This promised land
Doesn’t hold much promise to me
When bloodshed and tears
Seem to see no end in sight.

Of course my people want to be free,
But things aren’t the same now,
Do we really need to be so defensive?
I just want to go somewhere else.

The bible teaches us
Over and over again
That no one person is better than another
Then why are all these people,
Who are living on our land
Hated because they aren’t one of us?
We are all one people, after all.

I love to be part of this community
That stretches across the globe
But really, we don’t need to shut others out
Apartheid was never the way to go
To say ‘I belong here, and you do not’
Removes any possibility of equality
And turns us into a racist state
That is conceited entirely.

How can you even begin to think you care about this world,
About others,
When your very ideology
Is so rooted in hatred and racism
And differentiating between who is worthy.
The Muslims, Jews, Christians
We aren’t that different
Maybe you’d like to believe we are
But none of our religions,
Or any at all,
Would ever ask for something like this
No God would ever want this.

I was taught to hate you,
It is in my blood
But I think I never did
To me, you are just another soul
You could even be my friend.

No comments: