Saturday, October 2, 2010

pancakes

This morning I really felt like making pancakes. Though I generally prefer to make most foods from scratch, this summer I found that I actually liked the taste of pancakes from a mix better than homeade, maybe because they had cornstarch and more indgredients to add flavour. I find that most simple pancake recipes taste boring - I don't really like the plain white flour taste.

So this morning I looked online for a pancake recipe, since I didn't have any mix. I really liked the way they tasted, so I won't be buying any mix and will continue to make these. I like hearty flavourful tasting pancakes, and found that these suited my tastes perfectly.

Here's the recipe:

1 cup whole wheat flour
ground flax seed (I just poured a lot in, maybe 1/4 cup or something but I wouldn't bother measuring it)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup soymilk
2 tablespoons sunflower oil (but you can use any type of vegetable oil)

set stove to medium heat

combine dry ingredients

add the soymilk and oil

spoon onto pan...and you can probably figure out what to do from here.

I also put chocolate chips in some of them when they were on the pan.

*notes on the ingredients:
-if you don't have any flax seed that is fine, I just like it for the added taste, texture, and nutritional benefits
-you can use any type of flour or sugar, but whole wheat makes them heartier and healthier
-if you don't have soymilk on hand you can use any other type of milk and the recipe will still work
-if you're wondering why it called for so much baking powder, most vegan pancake recipes use a lot of baking powder, and it makes for a thick and fluffy pancake

I made a huge heart shaped one that was as big as my plate.

Here is the original recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/5-minute-vegan-pancakes-132263

No comments: