Monday, October 4, 2010

coconut couscous

Here is a delicious and simple meal idea. It's very easy and quick to make and has all the nutrients you need for a balanced meal.

I cooked 1 cup of couscous in 1 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water. (If you haven't cooked couscous before, you boil the liquid, remove it from the heat, add the couscous, cover with a lid and wait 5 minutes. so easy!)

I threw in white onion, green onion, red pepper, chick peas, corn, peas, dried garlic, and oregano.
This was so good, the coconut milk gave the couscous a nice flavour and all the vegetables added their own unique taste.

It took less than 8 minutes to make and lasted me 4 meals.

In the winter I eat a lot of root vegetables and apples, since we can get them locally and they last for a long time. But I wanted something a bit lighter, so I made this. I got cans of canadian corn and peas for 50 cents at the dollar store - handy to have on hand if I run out of fresh vegetables, especially since I live in somewhat of a food desert.

I used to find that once I opened a can of coconut milk, I would have trouble using it all up. Adding it to smoothies is one good way, today I tried a couple other things.

I made chocolate pudding (just the packaged powder that you add milk to and cook) and used 1 cup of coconut milk along with 2 cups of soymilk.

I also steamed some soymilk and coconut milk, added honey, pure vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and a chai tea bag. A nice treat (rather than going out for lattes, invite your friends over!)

No comments: