Thursday, August 27, 2009

Communal Living

Today, upon coming home from a sunny hike, I wrote the manifesto for an ecological communal housing co-operative that I would like to start. It's something that's been on my mind the past couple years and I finally wrote down some guidelines. Today all the specifics came to me one after another, so I grabbed a notepad, sat outside on the back porch, and wrote them all down. For once I was actually able to remember every single thing I had thought of. The purpose of the co-operative is to provide sustainable housing that is (for the most part) self sufficient, anti-capitalist, fulfilling, and community engaging. Not only would it have very low environmental impact, but it would allow people to escape the 'rat race' that overcomes so many, removing financial stress and competition.

It allows people to live meaningful lives and flourish within a caring community that provides the needs of all its members. My ideas are nothing special and are already in practice in many areas of the world, but I just wrote ideas for a model that could work in an urban setting such as Toronto.

Now, my question for myself is, which route will I take? Will I band together with like minded individuals and make this a reality, or will I become focused on my career and become too comfortable to make any drastic changes with my life? Only the future will tell.

No comments: