Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Letter to the living, who one day will die

Death has come
As simply as birth
Both so natural,
A little painful
But necessary, all the less.

Both happen all the time,
Every minute of every day.
Yet for some,
It’s such an occasion
Meaningful only to the immediate
But to you it means the world.

A life, simply lived
Has gained no attention.
I slip out of this world as quietly as I entered.
No fancy casket, no smoke or flames
No expensive flowers, no exaggerated service.

I do not wish
To carry my family into debt,
Making them die a slow death
Just to mourn mine.

A simple reflection,
Please remember my life.
Past that,
I have no greater joy
Than to be consumed and digested
Eaten to the bone
Maggots and worms
Slowly bidding me farewell.

I’ll return to where I came from
Where I belong
For once these small creatures
Can become larger than human
I’ll be a gift to the earth,
Become one with it,
Become it.

To rest forever,
Beneath tree limbs and stars.

No comments: