Wednesday, September 29, 2010

People Not Places



I generally don't like posting anything on my blog that isn't my own work, but I wanted to share this video. (maybe I'll start making more exceptions). Invincible is one of my favourite artists right now and is someone I really admire and respect as a person. She performed at my school the other day for a concert my pirg organized as part of our DisOrientation week. She really is a great musician and a caring and intelligent person. I am posting this video not only because it is one of my current favourite songs and has wonderful lyrics and meaning, but also as an example of the important ways that politics and art interwind and express themselves. It always bothers me when people say that politics and art don't belong together, because politics aren't something a person can leave behind them. It is part of who we are, and when we express ourselves through art we express ourselves through our identities and politics as well.

Invincible plays both the character of herself and a tour recruiter for Birthright Israel. I'm impressed by her acting skills and think she is funny and adorable in this role. And as herself she is seriously hot (as always. I'm sorry, I couldn't help but say it.) Much respect to Invincible for exposing the colonization of Palestine in a creative and educational way. May we always remember the importance and history of all places and their people, in Palestine, turtle island, and all over the world.

Emergence Travel Agency is a very cool concept, check it out: http://emergencetravel.net/

No comments: