Sunday, November 9, 2008

New president, new hope


OBAMA got elected! This was definately a very exciting moment for me as I sat on the floor of a crowded theatre with friends, staring up at the huge screen showing different news reports and shows that were covering the election, and all of the sudden his face came up on the screen and he had won. It was incredible, this was one of the first elections I have seen where I wasn't dissapointed with the results. This shouldn't be a historic moment, but it is, and it shouldn't be such a big deal for a person of colour to be the president of the USA, but it is. And without even considering the barriers he is breaking down, this still is an amazing victory to get a progressive democrat that is willing to talk about oppression of women, the gay community, people of colour, etc. McCain's speech was very gracious, and I appreciated that he found the strength to speak of Obama positively, and acknowledged the importance that Obamas victory has for African Americans. Both Barack and Michelle seem like incredible people, and I sincerely hope that they are able to bring about as much change as they aspire to.

No comments: